I finished my elephant pincushion today. As I mentioned, the pattern is from issue #23 of Mollie Makes magazine. The designer based the pattern on a vintage pattern from the 1920’s and I made a few modifications myself – I changed up the blanket on the elephant quite a bit, changing the shape and adding the tiniest of tassels.
The elephant is leaning on a pin cushion. The elephant itself carries your sewing supplies. If you look closely you can see my thimble in the nose of the elephant, a pair of scissors on the blanket and opposite the scissors is a needle threader. I also think that sewing needles, with bits of embroidery cotton still in them* will look cute. Also, if you look at his little tail, the very end is the strawberry from a pincushion for sharpening pins and needles (yes, I found a purple tomato with a purple strawberry).
I’m pretty pleased with how he turned out. If I were to make another I’d add tusks and change up the colors. It’s a well written pattern and although I’d rate it a beginner plus. You should have some stitching experience and understand dart making.
* One of my quirks is that I always leave cotton in my embroidery needles when I’m done using them. This makes them easier to pick up and easier to see if they fall on the floor.